Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Freebie Post #2: Village Voice B-Sides Show

Freebie Tip #1: Enter Contests

Why do I say this? Because so far -- even before I began this blog -- I have won tickets to free shows all around town. How? By entering contests, my friends. And, it seems that no one really enters these contests, because this weekend's exploit marks the 3rd set of tickets I've won and been able to use (out of a total of 7 wins - yes, folks, it's true). These tickets to a Saturday night show came courtesy of the good people at the Village Voice, and more specifically, their Voice Street Twitter people. Tweet on, I say!

So, with my name on the list and a guest by my side (one who was willing to follow The Rules), I made my way over to the Gramercy Theater, not really knowing what to expect. But hey - free show, right? If it sucks, we can leave!

But sucketh it did not.

The show was actually excellent! We took in three bands -- each of which I've covered briefly below, with a video clip of each, for your further exploration.
  1. Robert Poe - I would describe him as bluesy rock -- the kind of music I'd expect to hear in Houston or Dallas, maybe even Tennessee. He has a nice voice and a groovin' band. While I liked his original music, I also liked the Johnny Cash cover (I'm a sucker for nostalgia).
  2. The Scarlet Ending - What an unusual sound! Firstly, I must say that the fashion lover in me appreciated the coordinated red highlights in the band's attire. Nice work, kids. Secondly, I will say that my friend and I exchanged gasps and giggles of disbelief when one of the lead singers said in between songs, "Yeah, so we've been together 10 years... blahblahblah" -- say WHAT?! So, did you, like start your band when you were 3? Seriously, these guys look young young young. But they rocked the house with their unique sound, I will give them that much. I wanna say they sounded a bit like early No Doubt, but with Tori Amos on vocals. A nice blend. They'll do well, I predict. 
  3. Kara Suzanne - the headliner of the show and definitely the highlight for me. Why did I like her so much? For starters, she's got a killer set of pipes. Secondly, she has a tight band -- they are seriously good musicians. Third, I love her song lyrics. They are sincere, honest, and a bit earthy. She reminded me a bit of Bonnie Raitt and a grittier version of Feist, and at other times I thought of Tracy Chapman. I wanted to be drinking red wine or whiskey while listening to her music, or dancing in a hall stinking of stale beer. I loved her, and immediately went home and bought her recent album, Parlor Walls. My friend didn't like her quite as much as I did, but I think part of that is because I've grown up with music like Kara Suzanne's, so it's comfort food for me (and, as a Canadian, I find it highly amusing that her genre is labeled as "Americana" on her MySpace page, as it seems so... exclusive).
All in all, we left the event highly entertained and pleased. Both of us commented on how much we liked the venue -- really a cool, intimate spot, and one in which I hope I have the pleasure of seeing future shows!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the alienation my dear Canadian! This is not the first time I've wished there was a better word to describe the music I make.. they all want to stick me in a category and how I hate it! I do love and frequent so many genres in my music. Americana seems the only place for me to park since artists in that niche tend to do it all.. But you're right it's too exclusive. I think I need to come up with a new one, Universicana? Ha, that's it!..
    Thank you for the kind words and comparisons (dear god just mentioning Raitt get's me teary) I'm so happy you enjoyed the night and I hope you like the album too!
    best,
    Kara Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS.. just send me an email (info@karasuzanne.com) if you ever want to come to a show again and I'll put you on the list.. for FREE! thanks again! KS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara - just a quick note to say a BIG THANK YOU for your notes here and the email you sent. I love that you're so in touch! And love your art, too! Am really enjoying the album! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Scarlet Ending have been playing for 10 years! The band is fronted by twin sisters who are currently in their mid-twenties. Great GREAT band!

    www.thescarletending.com

    ReplyDelete